PITTSBURGH, May 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Under clear skies, with start line temperatures in the fifties, runners from 49 states and 12 nations took to the streets of Pittsburgh in record-breaking numbers.
With the largest and strongest field of runners in the event's history, the Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon (DSGPM) has exhibited impressive growth year-after-year to become one of the nation's fastest growing races. This year's event featured another impressive international field of up-and-coming and established elite runners.
Kenyan Nixon Kiplagat led the men for the first half of the full marathon. The second pack consisted of Tariku Aboset Bokan from Ethiopia and Kenyans Kipyegon Kirui and Abraham Kogo. At mile 16, returning men's champion, Jeffrey Eggleston, along with James Kirwa made a push and caught the chase pack. Within the last mile, Kirwa and Eggleston overtook Nixon Kiplagat, who finished third. Kirwa's final push carried him to a first place win with a 17 second advantage over second place finisher Eggleston.
In the women's marathon, Hirut Beyene led for the first half of the race with Russian Irina Kozubovskay, Moroccan Malika Mejdoub and Ethiopian Alemtsehay Misganaw trailing closely behind. In a chase to the finish, Mejdoub and Alemtsehay Misganaw were shoulder-to-shoulder down to the finish line where Mejdoub pushed ahead by one second to win.
"The optimal race-time conditions, competitive field, and downhill course at the end of the race proved to be a winning combination for a lot of our runners," stated Patrice Matamoros, Race Director. "The race featured enthusiastic spectators cheering on world-class athletes to an exciting finish. We congratulate all of the runners."
The favorable course and good race-time conditions enabled several course records and personal bests. The UPMC Health Plan Pittsburgh Half Marathon featured record-breaking finishes on both the male and female side.
- Julius Koskei, winner of the men's half marathon, broke the race record of 1:03:38 set last year by Nicholas Kurgat, with a time of 1:02:57.
- The winner of the women's half marathon, Fatuma Sado finished in 1:12:43, breaking the female race record of 1:14:26, set last year by Malika Mejdoub.
- Abraham Kipchumba Kogo, 5th male finisher in the men's full set a personal best of 2:16:33.
- Women's full marathon winner, Malika Mejdoub set her personal record of 2:39:30, breaking her prior time of 2:43:56.
- Second place finisher, Alemtsehay Misganaw set a personal record of 2:39:31 beating her former record of 2:45:56.
"The fast results of our Half Marathon puts Pittsburgh on the map in terms of rankings," stated Patrice Matamoros.
MALE WINNERS: Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
- James Kirwa, 28, Kenya, 2:14:09 ($8,000)
- Jeffrey Eggleston, 27, USA, 2:14:26 ($6,000)
- Nixon Kiplagat, 25, Kenya, 2:14:46 ($4,000)
- Tariku Aboset Bokan, 30, Ethiopia, 2:15:21 ($2,500)
- Abraham Kipchumba Kogo, 31, Kenya, 2:16:33 ($1,500)
FEMALE WINNERS: Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
- Malika Mejdoub, 29, Morocco, 2:39:30 ($8,000)
- Alemtsehay Misganaw, 31, Ethiopia, 2:39:31 ($6,000)
- Hirut Beyene, 20, Ethiopia, 2:39:56 ($4,000)
- Irina Kozubovskay, 27, Russia, 2:40:51 ($2,500)
- Tezeta Dengersa, 28, Ethiopia, 2:46:10 ($1,500)
MALE WINNERS: UPMC Health Plan Half Marathon
- Julius Koskei, 29, Kenya, 1:02:57 ($5,000)
- Julius Kogo, Kenya, 1:03:33 ($3,500)
- Ketema Nigusse, 31, Ethiopia, 1:05:07 ($2,000)
- Samuel Kosgei, Kenya, 27, 1:05:55 ($1,000)
- Jed Christiansen, USA, 25, 1:06:31 ($500)
FEMALE WINNERS: UPMC Health Plan Half Marathon
- Fatuma Sado, 20, Ethiopia, 1:12:43 ($5,000)
- Risper Gesabwa, 23, Kenya, 1:13:36 ($3,500)
- Hellen Jemutai, 30, Kenya, 1:13:46 ($2,000)
- Yihunlish Bekele Delecha (Delel), 30, Ethiopia, 1:14:28 ($1,000)
- Everlyne Lagat, Kenya, 1:15:14 ($500)
MALE MASTERS WINNERS: Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
- Jae Yung Hyung, 41, Korea, 2:30:14 ($1,000)
- James Hommes, 41, USA, 2:34:21 ($500)
- Jason Bodnar, 41, USA, 2:36:16 ($250)
FEMALE MASTERS WINNERS: Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
- Lisa Lucas, 46, USA, 3:04:09 ($1,000)
- Tammy Slusser, 47, USA, 3:19:41 ($500)
- Mary Kreis, 42, USA, 3:24:20 ($250)
MALE WINNERS PENNSYLVANIA RESIDENT: Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
- Marco Dozzi, 27, USA, 2:28:21 ($1,000)
- Patrick Dantzer, 27, USA, 2:31:08
- James Hommes, 41, USA, 2:34:21
FEMALE WINNERS PENNSYLVANIA RESIDENT: Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
- Laura Harnish, 25, USA, 2:54:39 ($1,000)
- Lauren Woodring, 24, USA, 2:58:31
- Lisa Lucas, 46, USA, 3:04:09
- Kenneth Bestine, 45, USA, 1:32:45
SOURCE Dick's Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Telekurs USA
Postage Rates Bots go here