We will continue to update this page with updates on storm response. Arlington's Emergency Operations Center has been open throughout the night, coordinating storm response. Visit our "After the Storm" web page for helpful information. Major updates:
Severe power outages:
- More than 59,000 Arlington households without power this morning, about 60% of the County.
- Dominion is focused initially on critical infrastructure, e.g., hospitals.
- Approx. 430,000 without power in Northern Virginia, and about one million without power in the National Capital Region.
- It is likely to be a number of days before all power is restored in the region.
Traffic signals out:
- We have approximately 80 intersections currently without traffic signals.
- Arlington Police are bringing in extra officers to assist with traffic control at these intersections.
- Traffic dept. is placing generators at the more critical intersections, to power the signals.
- Please proceed with caution!
Excessive heat advisory
- Excessive heat expected today, up to heat index of 110.
- Please exercise caution and read our heat tips webpage, including signals of heatstroke.
- Crews are responding to calls for more than 60 downed trees.
- Many were cleared overnight.
- As always, avoid downed power lines.
- Where to report downed trees and power lines.