REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/23/13 -- Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL)
- Hotelbeds, an accommodation wholesaler servicing over 50,000 hotels across 183 countries, has selected Oracle Fusion Middleware technologies including Oracle WebLogic Server and Oracle Coherence to help fuel sustained company growth.
- Part of the TUI Travel PLC Group, Hotelbeds sells 16 million hotel room nights per year and has experienced consistent double-digit growth over the past decade.
- As the company continued to expand, it realized that its current IT infrastructure environment, which had been comprised of various open source application servers, like Tomcat and Resin, had become too complex, disparate and costly to manage and its middle-tier database cache could no longer scale to serve the company's busiest seasons.
- After undergoing a rigorous evaluation process that included analyzing the total cost of ownership (TCO)(1) of Oracle WebLogic Server versus open source application servers in the market today, Hotelbeds decided to migrate its entire applications ecosystem to Oracle WebLogic Server.
- By consolidating onto Oracle WebLogic Server, Hotelbeds was able to reduce cost and risk and increase efforts to streamline their data center.
- Additionally, Hotelbeds opted to replace its existing open source caching systems MemCached and EHCache with Oracle Coherence to increase performance, scalability and ease-of-use.
- In transactional tests prior to implementation, Oracle Coherence significantly out-performed Hotelbeds' previous caching system in terms of performance, scalability and reliability.
- By consolidating its application server environment with Oracle WebLogic Server, Hotelbeds anticipates it will reduce its operating costs by nearly 25 percent.
- With Oracle WebLogic Server, Hotelbeds has also eliminated the risk of running their business critical applications on unsupported platforms.
- Hotelbeds is also using a range of other Oracle technologies to support its infrastructure, including Oracle Database, Oracle Exadata Database Machine, Oracle GoldenGate, Oracle WebCenter Content, Oracle JDeveloper and Oracle JRockit Java Virtual Machine.
- "The success of our business is based on our ability to grow our operation globally, manage large volumes of information efficiently and provide the best experience for our customers," said Juan de Dios García, head of IT, Hotelbeds. "We continue to invest in our online infrastructure to remain at the cutting edge of technology. The combination of Oracle WebLogic Server and Oracle Coherence gives us the availability, scalability and performance we need to meet our business requirements, while significantly reducing administration costs and eliminating risks associated with running our mission critical applications on unsupported platforms."
Hotelbeds (www.hotelbeds.com) is a global accommodation wholesaler with an online database of over 50,000 hotels in 183 countries. For the year ended 30 September 2012, Hotelbeds sold 16 million room nights. Hotelbeds was founded in Spain in 2001 following the acquisition of Barceló Travel Division by First Choice PLC in 2000. When TUI Tourism and First Choice Holidays PLC merged in 2007, Hotelbeds became part of the Accommodation & Destinations Sector of TUI Travel PLC, the international leisure travel company. Hotelbeds now has local teams operating across 47 countries.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) Based on Crimson Consulting Group methodology from the report, "Cost of Ownership Analysis Oracle WebLogic Server® Costs versus JBoss® Application Server August, 2011".