SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/25/13 -- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) announced today that KDDI Corp., Japan's leading telecommunications service provider, has chosen the Cisco® ASR 5500 mobile multimedia core platform as a core element of its mobile Internet network. The Cisco ASR 5500 will be a foundational element for KDDI's 4G long-term evolution (LTE) network, where it delivers higher bandwidth and greater intelligence for faster mobile Internet services and enhanced user experiences.
Cisco and KDDI share a vision where mobility presents business opportunities involving the connection of new devices, data and things. An intelligent software-driven architecture is what will expedite delivery of innovative KDDI mobile Internet services for people and organizations.
- According to the Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update (2012 to 2017), mobile data traffic in Japan will grow 14-fold, a compound annual growth rate of 71 percent. It will reach an annual run rate of 1.8 exabytes in 2017. Japan generates 16 percent of the world's total mobile data traffic with only two percent of Internet-enabled devices.
- New mobile devices are emerging every day, from tablets and smartphones to smart cars, introducing new applications and services, as well as widely varying traffic patterns. The Cisco ASR 5500 provides intra-chassis virtualization capable of allocating resources on-demand across transactions, throughput and sessions over heterogeneous networks to support multiple control and bearer functions and services, such as policy charging and rules function (PCRF) and deep packet inspection (DPI), with high-reliability and high-availability.
- The Cisco ASR 5500 is a robust, multimedia services platform that brings a new level of network and customer intelligence coupled with the ability to provide dynamic quality of service, policy control and contextual analytics to the mobile network. Such intelligence is critical to delivering real-time, personalized mobile services and monetizing the network.
- Toshihiko Yumoto, vice president and general manager, Network Technical Development Division, KDDI Corp.
"Cisco is an important enabler for KDDI au mobile service as we share the same vision when it comes to delivering high-quality, advanced mobile Internet services, whether it is over 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi network. Our recent decision to use Cisco as our mobile packet core provider will help enable us to deliver an improved level of service intelligence and performance to customers across Japan, namely our new au 3G and 4G LTE services."
- Kelly Ahuja, senior vice president and general manager, Service Provider Mobility Group, Cisco
"Through the leading technology and services of the Cisco ASR 5500, we are uniquely offering service providers the opportunity to keep up with this surging demand from their customers in the 'new normal' and also to enable their ability to grow profitability. All this is designed to help service providers offer new differentiated services and to maximize the return on their existing investments. We are delighted to collaborate with KDDI to quickly and efficiently launch new, advanced mobile 4G LTE services that will benefit them and their customers."
- KDDI Expands its Mobile Network with the Cisco ASR 5500
Supporting Customer and Resources
- KDDI au
- Cisco ASR 5500
- Information on Cisco Service Provider products and technologies
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @CiscoSPMobility
- Cisco Service Provider Mobility Community
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed
Cisco, KDDI, Cisco, mobility, mobile Internet, ASR 5500, ASR, routing, switching, video, Visual Networking Index, VNI, service providers, mobile operators
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2236902