WATSONVILLE, Calif., Aug. 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- West Marine, the nation's largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, is proud to announce that it is accepting nominations for its third annual Green Product of the Year Award. This year the contest has been expanded to include all of the U.S., including the District of Columbia, as well as Puerto Rico and Canada (excluding the province of Quebec). By expanding the contest West Marine hopes to encourage green product development throughout the marine industry. The Green Product of the Year is an important component of West Marine's BlueFuture™ initiative to help create a sustainable future of our planet. The Green Product of the Year will be announced and the award of $10,000 will be presented to the designated Official Winner at the 2012 Miami International Boat Show.
"West Marine strives to be a leader in sustainability. We hope to inspire the marine industry to create environmentally friendly products to preserve and protect the oceans and waterways that we all enjoy," said Geoff Eisenberg, CEO, West Marine.
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products. The panel of esteemed judges includes:
- Dr. Randy Kochevar, PhD, Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station
- Stan Honey, Ocean Racing Navigator, founder of Etak and SportVision
- Bill Lee, Owner, Wizard Yacht Sales
- Jim Leishman, Owner & VP of Nordhavn Yachts
- Dr. Laura Strohm, President of Strohm Sustainability Consulting
- Margaret Podlich, VP of Government Affairs, BoatUS
- Mike Sutton, VP and Director, Center for the Future of the Oceans, Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Randy Repass, Chairman and Founder, West Marine
- Chuck Hawley, VP of Product Information, West Marine
- Ron Japinga, EVP Merchandising & Logistics, West Marine
The judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
- Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
- Economical: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis (use of the product will save $xx).
- Environmental Impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Due to the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metric.
- Degree of Innovation: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2010, 2011 or will it be introduced in 2012? Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
- Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entry must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Participants can enter the contest, as well as view the complete rules and entry requirements, by completing an entry form at westmarine.com/green between August 17, 2011 and December 1, 2011.
About West Marine
West Marine (Nasdaq: WMAR), the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has more than 320 company-operated stores located in 38 states, Puerto Rico, Canada and three franchised stores located in Turkey. Our call center and Internet channels offer Customers over 60,000 products and the convenience of exchanging catalog and Internet purchases at our Store locations. Our Port Supply division is one of the largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine's products and store locations, or to start shopping, visit westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING (1-800-262-8464).
SOURCE West Marine