WATSONVILLE, Calif., April 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- West Marine (NASDAQ: WMAR), the world's largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has released its BlueFuture® 2011 Sustainability Report. BlueFuture® encompasses West Marine's company-wide efforts focusing on sustainability, including improving and protecting the marine environments, reducing the company's carbon footprint and supporting the communities where West Marine Associates live and work.
From "green" boating products to giving millions of dollars in grants over the years to marine based non-profits — West Marine continues to demonstrate its commitment to preserving our waters and ensuring that future generations will be able to enjoy our marine resources. The report details West Marine's company-wide policies to reduce greenhouse gases, commitments to healthy waterways and fisheries and programs focused on encouraging children to get out on the water.
"For over four decades, West Marine has assisted boaters on the world's oceans, lakes and rivers. Being boating's largest retailer, we believe we have a responsibility to minimize the environmental impact of products on the waterways that are so critical to all living things," said Geoff Eisenberg, CEO of West Marine.
Some of the highlights from West Marine's 2011 Sustainability Report:
- West Marine fulfilled 481 grants to support youth boating, boating safety, boating for charity, marine conservation and matching dollars for Associates' donations.
- West Marine Associates frequently donated time and energy to non-profit, marine-based organizations.
- "Green Product of the Year" Honorees included Entropy's Super Sap epoxy, Torqeedo's Travel 1003 Electric Outboard and the Lehr Propane Powered Outboard Motor.
- Customers selected 13% more green boating products, reducing Chemicals of Concern from being discharged into our waterways.
- West Marine has reduced its own carbon footprint almost 14% since its 2007 baseline
Eisenberg noted, "By reporting both our strengths and weaknesses we are trying to be transparent about the significant improvement we've made, but also acknowledge that we've hardly scratched the surface of what needs to be done. We've set extremely challenging aspirational goals for 2017. We hope to make even more progress going forward."
West Marine's 5 year goals are:
- Reduce landfill waste by 25%
- Reduce its carbon footprint by 25%
- Improve product sustainability by 25%
- Be a leader in ocean conservation
Learn more about West Marine's sustainability program and read the BlueFuture® 2011 Sustainability Report at www.westmarine.com/bluefuture
About West Marine
West Marine (NASDAQ: WMAR) the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has more than 310 company-owned stores located in 38 states, Puerto Rico and Canada and three franchised stores located in Turkey. Our call center and Internet channels offer Customers over 75,000 products plus the convenience of exchanging catalog and Internet purchases at our Store locations. Our Port Supply division is one of the largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine's products and store locations, or to start shopping, visit westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING (1-800-262-8464).
SOURCE West Marine