MADISON, Wis., March 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Communities, nonprofit organizations and students benefited from $7.3 million and 88,000 volunteer hours from Alliant Energy in 2017. Iowa and Wisconsin customers were supported with resources from the company, its foundation, employees and retirees.
"Every day, our company and the Alliant Energy family put money and time into local efforts to help our communities thrive and to support our customers and neighbors in need," said Patricia Kampling, Alliant Energy's Chairman and CEO. "I am extremely proud of the positive impact our people make to improve the quality of life in the places we serve."
Employee and retiree giving to nonprofit organizations takes many forms:
- Volunteering – Nonprofit organizations received $115,900 in grants as a result of employees and retirees volunteering more than 88,000 hours.
- Matching gifts – $494,226 went to higher education institutions, community foundations, food banks, food pantries, homeless shelters and a variety of other nonprofits through the foundation matching employee and retiree donations.
- United Way campaigns – The company, employees and retirees pledged more than $1.2 million to 60 United Way agencies across Iowa and Wisconsin. The funding goes to groups focusing on education, financial stability and health – the building blocks for a good quality of life and strong communities.
Other 2017 giving highlights include:
- Hometown Care program – Company contributions totaling $2 million that help Iowa and Wisconsin low-income customers with their energy bills.
- Second Harvest and Feeding America Food Banks – Funding for food pantries, including $475,000 raised through the company's annual Drive Out Hunger event.
- Education support – Invested $556,000 in education programs, including $193,000 in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) initiatives such as the Iowa Governor's STEM Advisory Council and the Wisconsin Science Festival.
- Foundation grants – 266 grants to organizations focusing their programs on helping families, education and the environment. This included $460,000 in Wisconsin and $420,000 in Iowa.
Alliant Energy Corporation (NYSE: LNT), headquartered in Madison, Wis., provides regulated electric and natural gas service to 960,000 electric and 410,000 natural gas customers across Iowa and Wisconsin. Alliant Energy's mission is to deliver the energy solutions and exceptional service customers and communities count on – safely, efficiently and responsibly. Interstate Power and Light Company and Wisconsin Power and Light Company are Alliant Energy's two public utility subsidiaries. Alliant Energy Corporation is a component of the S&P 500 and trades under the symbol LNT. For more information, visit alliantenergy.com.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/alliant-energys-community-investment-totals-73-million-in-2017-300612258.html
SOURCE Alliant Energy Corporation