Sun Microsystems, Inc. (NASDAQ:JAVA) today announced the Sun GlassFish(TM) Portfolio, the most complete, open source, high-performance Web platform, based on GlassFish(TM), the industry's most downloaded application server. The Sun GlassFish Portfolio is available immediately via a flexible subscription-based pricing model starting at $999 per server (USD), making it the most cost-effective solution in the market. To purchase the Sun GlassFish Portfolio, visit: http://www.sun.com/glassfish.
“Companies are under huge pressure to do more with less, and more and more frequently they are turning to scalable, supported open source technologies,” said Mark Herring, vice president, Software Infrastructure, Sun Microsystems. “With GlassFish Portfolio, Sun is providing customers with the highest-scaling, highest performance and lowest cost, open source platform. Companies developing Web applications with the Sun GlassFish Portfolio can expect to deploy quickly, see a seven fold improvement in application price/performance(1) at only 10 percent of the cost(2) – over proprietary offerings.”
"High availability allows us to meet our stringent uptime requirements and the Sun GlassFish Enterprise Server enables us to cost-effectively deploy new services while meeting our performance and availability requirements," said Erez Yarkoni, vice president, T-Mobile, USA.
Built on leading open source projects including: Apache Tomcat, Ruby, PHP, Liferay Portal and GlassFish, the Sun GlassFish Portfolio packages these components into a complete, pre-integrated and fully-tested open source platform, resulting in increased productivity and faster time to market. Because the Sun GlassFish Portfolio is based on the industry's highest performing application server, GlassFish Enterprise Server(3), it is suited for extremely high-scale mission-critical environments, as well as departmental applications. The Sun GlassFish Portfolio also offers a range of support and services options for customers, from basic patch services to 24x7 mission critical support.
The GlassFish Portfolio includes the GlassFish Application Server, along with the following new components:
- Sun GlassFish Web Stack – A complete and fully integrated LAMP stack designed for developers wanting a light-weight Web solution. The GlassFish Web Stack includes Tomcat, Memcached, Squid and Lighttpd with support for PHP, Ruby and the Java(TM) Platform.
- Sun GlassFish(TM) Web Space Server – Based on Liferay Portal, the leading open source portal technology, helps companies simplify Web site development and build collaborative work spaces, including portals and social networking sites.
- Sun GlassFish ESB – A lightweight, open source ESB platform for department-scale and enterprise SOA deployments that connects existing and new applications to deliver content and services to the Web.
- Sun(TM) Enterprise Manager – For enterprise scale management and monitoring of the GlassFish Portfolio including SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) support.
Leveraging the GlassFish Portfolio and MySQL(TM) Database
Combining the most downloaded open source application server, GlassFish, with the world's most popular open source database, MySQL, allows customers to develop a unified open source strategy for superior ROI and simplicity-of-use of both products for developers and administrators. GlassFish Portfolio and MySQL Enterprise(TM) are both available from Sun with consistent pricing and subscription support models so customers have a single vendor to stand behind their open source deployments.
GlassFish in Telecommunications
Now generally available as an add-on to the GlassFish Portfolio, the Sun GlassFish(TM) Communications Server is a telecommunications-grade, open source foundation for converged multimedia applications. This solution is based on joint development with Ericsson in the open source Project SailFin and enables service providers to create and deliver innovative services like VOIP, instant messaging, IPTV, interactive gaming and other multimedia applications for a wide range of business and consumer devices. Sun will be showcasing the GlassFish Communications Server and mobility platform offerings at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain. Visit Sun at booth - #2C12; Hall 2. Additional add-ons for the GlassFish Portfolio are also available at http://www.sun.com/glassfish.
About Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Sun Microsystems develops the technologies that power the global marketplace. Guided by a singular vision -- "The Network Is The Computer"(TM) -- Sun drives network participation through shared innovation, community development and open source leadership. Sun can be found in more than 100 countries and on the Web at http://sun.com.
(1) (3) The Sun GlassFish Enterprise Server is the price/performance leader according to SPECjAppServer 2004 Benchmark and improves application price/performance seven times over other vendors.
(2) According to the SPECjAppServer 2004 Benchmark, enterprises save more than 90 percent on the cost of proprietary alternative.
Sun, Sun Microsystems, the Sun logo, Java, GlassFish, Sun GlassFish, MySQL, MySQL Enterprise and The Network Is The Computer are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.