Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK), one of the nation’s leading providers of entertainment, information and communications products and services, today announced special On Demand programming that will take Comcast’s digital video customers on a cultural journey during Hispanic Heritage Month. In addition to award-winning movies, customers will be able to watch specials that highlight the people, landscape, cuisine, culture and music of Latin America, including features on some of the top Hispanic entertainers from around the world.
“Comcast is proud to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and will provide more Latin On Demand content for our customers,” said Kim Taylor, Vice President Multicultural Marketing for Comcast. “Our Hispanic Heritage Month programming will be available in both English and Spanish, offering the most Hispanic content available in your home anytime.”
"We are excited about participating in and supporting this initiative, which underscores Comcast's commitment to serve the Hispanic community with quality television all year round and especially during this month-long celebration," said Luis Villanueva, President and CEO of SOMOSTV, producers of VeneMovies and Semillitas. "Comcast's leading role in the industry is extremely important to raise the salience of the Hispanic Culture and its contribution to America's diversity."
Comcast digital video customers will have access to the special programming through October 15, while also being able to watch to the best selection of Spanish broadcast and cable channels, including 250 choices On Demand, featuring 65 of the greatest Latino films of all time.
Comcast’s Hispanic Heritage Month programming highlights include:
- People: Biography Channel’s specials on Ricky Martin, Salma Hayek, Jennifer Lopez, and Emilio & Gloria Estefan, and CNN’s Latino in America Parts 1 & 2
- Award-winning films: The Motorcycle Diaries, Pan’s Labyrinth and Like Water for Chocolate
- Cultural entertainment: Activity TV’s Puerto Rican Masks, Guatemalan Dolls, and Mexican Paper Hearts, as well as Our Family Wedding, and Carlos Mencia in The Best of Funny is Funny
- Music: Music videos by artists like Shakira, Juanes, Aventura, Pitbull, Ivy Queen, among others, as well as musically themed movies, including El Cantante and Selena
- Cuisine: Alterna TV’s La Cocina de la Independencia and Venemovies’ Cilantro y Perejíl
- Landscapes: Discovery Atlas: Mexico Revealed
- History: Special On Demand programming commemorating this year’s bicentennial celebrations in Latin America, including De tres colores and Univision’s Prime Time specials Anhelos de la Libertad, La Decena Trágica and Día de Gloria
- Children’s programming: Special episodes of popular kid’s shows such as Nickelodeon’s Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go! in Spanish
Each month, Comcast brings Hispanic viewers hundreds of programming choices every day, including movies, music, TV series and kids’ shows along with Hispanic broadcast and cable channels such as Univision, Telemundo, Cine Latino, Cine Mexicano, Mi Cine, FEARnet en español, Mun2, MTV Tr3s, Nickelodeon en Español, PBS Sprout en Español, ¡Sorpresa!, and VeneMovies. Since 2008, Comcast has tripled its Hispanic video-on-demand offerings and offers more than 50 Hispanic cable networks – the largest Spanish-language network package of any cable or satellite provider – in many major markets across the U.S. The company’s Hispanic Heritage Month lineup is part of its commitment to offer a wide selection of multicultural programming and deliver more choice to its customers through its Xfinity services, which include more than 100 HD channels, 50 to 70 foreign-language channels, On Demand video choices increasing to 25,000 and faster broadband speeds up to 50-100+ Mbps.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) (www.comcast.com) is one of the nation's leading providers of entertainment, information and communication products and services. With 23.2 million video customers, 16.4 million high-speed Internet customers, and 8.1 million Comcast Digital Voice customers, Comcast is principally involved in the development, management and operation of cable systems and in the delivery of programming content.
Comcast's content networks and investments include E! Entertainment Television, Style Network, Golf Channel, VERSUS, G4, PBS KIDS Sprout, TV One, 11 regional sports networks operated by Comcast Sports Group and Comcast Interactive Media, which develops and operates Comcast's Internet businesses, including Comcast.net (www.comcast.net). Comcast also has a majority ownership in Comcast-Spectacor, which owns two professional sports teams, the Philadelphia 76ers NBA basketball team and the Philadelphia Flyers NHL hockey team, and a large, multipurpose arena in Philadelphia, the Wells Fargo Center, and, through Global Spectrum, manages other facilities for sporting events, concerts and other events.