RALEIGH, N.C., May 3, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- With summer just around the corner, many readers will be searching for the best picks to take with them on their travels. Whether they are hitting the beach, heading across country, or relaxing in the hammock out in the yard, summer is a popular time for people to take in a few books. But summer only lasts so long, so it's important to narrow down the selection and choose from ones that have a reputation for wowing readers.
"It would be great if we had time to read every book we come across," explains Sarah Gilbert, director of sales at Lulu.com, a self-publishing company. "But that's simply not reality. Being able to narrow down your list to a few that are recommended by others, or have a buzz around them, will help ensure that you enjoy the hours you put into the books, this summer."
Here are Lulu.com's top picks for summer reading:
- David Thorne - Buzz-worthy New York Times bestselling author of The Internet is a Playground shares his latest collection of the hilariously entertaining emails and articles he's known for in his new book I'll Go Home Then, Its Warm and Has Chairs. The Unpublished Emails.
- Stephen Stark - New York Times Book Review Notable Book and Writer's Pick author. The Final Appearance of America's Favorite Girl Next Door is the latest from Stark – a riveting and sexy page-turner about America's "it girl," Ellen Gregory, and her escape from the bright lights of Hollywood and a harrowing encounter with a stalker.
- Kevin Powell - Former MTV Real World star turned congressional candidate turned bestselling political author publishes his 11th book, Barack Obama, Ronald Reagan, and the Ghost of Dr. King, exclusively through Lulu. He is intent on not just exposing but understanding modern politics and pop culture through events as recent as the tragedy that is the murder of Trayvon Martin, all the while building bridges of dialogue—with ourselves, and with our nation.
- Scott Steinberg - Author of many bestselling books, and a well-known media personality for publications such as Fast Company and Inc. Magazine, his latest book is The Modern Parent's Guide to Kids and Video Games, which explores 40 years of invention and mainstream, offering unrivaled insights for making gaming a positive part of family life.
- John Edgar Wideman - MacArthur Genius Grant and Faulkner Award winning author publishes his latest groundbreaking collection of micro-stories that unveil an utterly original voice and structure—hip-hop Zen—where each story is a single breath, to be caught, held, shared and savored. The characters and compass points range from Darfur to Manhattan, from Pittsburgh to Paris, but the true coordinates these stories chart are the psychic and emotional fault lines beneath our common ground. BRIEFS is an unforgettable map of the lives we inherit, those we invent, and the worlds we wander between first and last loves.
"When you are making your summer picks, whether for a book club or just for yourself, check out one or all of these titles," adds Gilbert. "You will not be disappointed. The reviews that have come in on these hot picks make them all a safe bet for affordable and enjoyable entertainment, this summer."
Lulu.com provides complete publishing solutions to authors and businesses. They are the #1 source of independent content on the iBookstore(SM) and Nook Bookstore, with 60,000+ titles currently available in these channels. Authors have the ability to publish their books, of any genre, using their simple online tools. Lulu.com's self-publishing service is provided free, and authors retain all rights, as well as up to 90 percent of all profit from sales. To learn more about using Lulu's publishing tools, log onto www.lulu.com.
Lulu.com, founded in 2002, is a one-stop shop where, with a few clicks of a button, anyone can publish anything as a print book or eBook for free and sell it to customers all over the world. Lulu has helped over 1 million creators publish in over 200 countries and territories. Creators set their own price and keep full creative and copyright control over their works. With over 1.2 million titles in their catalogue, Lulu is the clear leader in self-publishing solutions.
This information was brought to you by Cision http://www.cisionwire.com