MCLEAN, Va., Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) continues to hold down the No. 1 ranking for the second straight week in the USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 national editorial rankings for girls basketball for the week of Jan. 14, 2013.
The USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 is now in its 30th year as the most prestigious high school ranking platform in the nation. Gatorade is the Official Fuel of the Super 25 rankings platform, which includes computer rankings of every major high school football, baseball, boys and girls basketball and boys and girls lacrosse team in the nation.
Mater Dei improved to 17-0 on the strength of two 40-point wins last week, beating Camarillo, 87-47, and Lutheran (Orange), 72-32, as Katie Samuelson scored a combined 50 points to lead the team.
Mater Dei is once again followed at No. 2 by Duncanville (TX), which improved its record to 28-0 with a 56-32 win over DeSoto that also marked Duncanville's 56th straight win dating back to last season.
The only changes among the Top 10 teams in the Super 25 come at No. 9, where 12-0 Fairmont (Kettering, Ohio) moved up one spot from last week, and at No. 10, where 14-2 Long Beach (Calif.) Poly also moved up one spot after two dominating wins over Compton and Jordan.
Hopkins (Minnetonka, Minn.), which had been ranked No. 9, slipped to No. 15 this week after losing to Centennial, marking its first defeat of the season. No. 24 Martin Luther King (9-0) of Detroit is the only new team to crack the Super 25 this week.
Following is the complete listing of this week's USA TODAY High School Sports girls basketball rankings.
USA TODAY High School Sports
High School Girls Basketball Super 25
For Week of January 14, 2013
1. Mater Dei, Santa Ana, Calif. (17-0)
2. Duncanville, Texas (28-0)
3. Windward, Los Angeles (16-0)
4. St. Mary's, Phoenix (15-1)
5. Riverdale, Murfreesboro, Tenn. (18-0)
6. Paul VI, Fairfax, Va. (17-0)
7. St. John's, Washington, D.C. (15-0)
8. Marion County, Lebanon, Ky. (18-0)
9. Fairmont, Kettering, Ohio (12-0)
10. Long Beach Poly (14-2)
11. Dutch Fork, Irmo, S.C. (16-0)
12. North Gwinnett, Suwanee, Ga. (15-0)
13. Columbus North, Columbus, Ind. (18-0)
14. Shabazz, Newark, NJ (9-0)
15. Hopkins, Minnetonka, Minn. (14-1)
16. Parkview, Lilburn, Ga. (17-0)
17. Myers Park, Charlotte (15-0)
18. Pflugerville, Texas (27-0)
19. Riverdale Baptist, Upper Marlboro, Md. (15-3)
20. Bishop O'Dowd, Oakland (10-3)
21. St. Mary's, Stockton, Calif. (14-1)
22. Incarnate Word, St. Louis (13-0)
23. Edwardsville, Ill. (17-0)
24. Martin Luther King, Detroit (9-0)
25. Southwood, Shreveport, La. (19-1)
For more information on the Super 25, visit USA TODAY High School Sports.
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group encompasses all sports initiatives across USA TODAY Sports and Gannett's more than 100 well-known local media brands. It also includes the sports photography service USA TODAY Sports Images, USA TODAY High School Sports and the hundreds of sites within USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties such as thebiglead.com and mixed martial arts site MMAjunkie.com, among others. USA TODAY is owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI).
SOURCE USA TODAY Sports Media Group