- Snowflake eliminates silos and data movement by advancing its support for Iceberg Tables, enabling users to bring all of their data together in the Data Cloud
- Snowflake furthers its leading governance and compliance capabilities with new innovations to Snowflake Horizon, enabling users to confidently protect, secure, connect, and access data, apps, and more
- Snowflake’s Cost Management Interface brings together existing cost management features and new capabilities so admins gain increased visibility, control, and optimizations of their Snowflake spend, all in one user interface
Snowflake (NYSE: SNOW), the Data Cloud company, today announced at its Snowday 2023 event new enhancements that provide thousands of Snowflake customers that already rely on the Data Cloud as their trusted data foundation with new ways to eliminate silos and bring AI and app development directly to their enterprise data. Snowflake’s latest announcements empower organizations to derive even more value by unifying all of their data in a single data foundation, secured by a powerful governance model, while providing them with leading cost-efficiency and performance. Organizations can now bring any type of development and workload to their data, further unlocking new innovations with the Data Cloud.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20231101130827/en/
Snowflake Advances its Trusted Data Foundation to Unite All Data and Extend Its Powerful Governance Capabilities (Graphic: Business Wire)
“Having a strong data foundation is the key to a successful AI strategy, and Snowflake’s latest innovations ensure that our customers have the ability to leverage data and harness emerging technologies in secure and governed ways,” said Christian Kleinerman, SVP of Product, Snowflake. “Snowflake is making it easier for users to put all of their data to work, without data silos or tradeoffs, so they can create powerful AI models and apps that transform their industries.”
Snowflake Further Eliminates Data Silos to Fuel Organizations’ Data Strategies
With Snowflake as the data backbone powering organizations’ data and AI strategies, it’s imperative that customers can tap into all of their data and support more workloads to drive impact. Snowflake is further eliminating silos by advancing its support for Iceberg Tables (public preview soon), enabling users to unite all of their data together in the Data Cloud. Iceberg Tables bring Snowflake's ease of use, performance, and universal governance to data stored and managed externally in the popular open standard Apache Iceberg format, while also allowing access to that data from other engines. Iceberg Tables provide further choice to customers, so organizations can easily support additional architecture patterns to implement their data lake, data lakehouse, data mesh, and data warehouse with Snowflake.
Snowflake Horizon Expands its Leading Governance Capabilities
Snowflake’s single, cross-cloud governance model has always been a powerful differentiator, enabling customers to manage their increasingly complex data ecosystems with simplicity and ease. As a result, Snowflake is enhancing its governance capabilities that thousands of customers already rely on through Snowflake Horizon. Snowflake Horizon is Snowflake’s built-in governance solution with a unified set of compliance, security, privacy, interoperability, and access capabilities in the Data Cloud. Snowflake Horizon makes it easy for customers to govern and take immediate action on data, apps, and more across clouds, teams, partners, and customers — both inside and outside of organizations. Snowflake continues to advance Snowflake Horizon with additional capabilities including:
- Additional Authorizations and Certifications: Snowflake recently achieved compliance for the UK’s Cyber Essentials Plus (CE+), FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Policy, IRS’s Publication 1075 Tax Information Security Guidelines, and assessments by the Korea Financial Security Institute (K-FSI), as well as StateRAMP High and U.S. Department of Defense Impact Level 4 (DoD IL4) Provisional Authorization on AWS GovCloud. These reiterate Snowflake’s commitment to providing its customers with the highest security and privacy assurances for their data needs, especially those across the public sector.
- Data Quality Monitoring (private preview): Data Quality Monitoring makes it easier for customers to measure and record data quality metrics for reporting, alerting, and debugging. Snowflake is unveiling both out-of-the-box and custom metric capabilities for users, furthering its industry-leading governance capabilities.
- Data Lineage UI (private preview): The Data Lineage UI gives customers a bird’s eye visualization of the upstream and downstream lineage of objects. With this new UI, customers can easily see how downstream objects may be impacted by modifications that happen upstream.
- Differential Privacy Policies (in development): Customers can protect sensitive data by ensuring that the output of any one query does not contain information that can be used to draw conclusions about any individual record in the underlying data set.
- Enhanced Classification of Data: Custom Classifiers (private preview), international classification (generally available), and Snowflake’s new UI-based classification workflow (public preview) allow users to define what sensitive data means to their organization and identify it across their data estate.
- Trust Center (private preview soon): Snowflake’s Trust Center streamlines cross-cloud security and compliance monitoring in one centralized place to reduce security monitoring costs, resulting in lower total cost of ownership (TCO) and the prevention of account risk escalations. With the Trust Center, organizations can discover security and compliance risks based on industry best practices, with recommendations to resolve and prevent violations.
Snowflake Provides Increased Cost Transparency to Help Customers Better Optimize Spend
Snowflake is making it even easier for customers to manage and optimize their Snowflake spend with the new Cost Management Interface (private preview), bringing together existing cost management features and new capabilities all in one user interface. Admins can now go to a single place in Snowflake to easily understand, control, and optimize their spend with out-of-the-box capabilities. They get more visibility into account-level usage and spend metrics, while seeing how the effective value of their Snowflake credits change over time due to Snowflake’s continued performance improvements. In addition, customers can set limits and notifications to control spend from one place, and can optimize their resource allocation on Snowflake through recommendations (private preview soon).
Snowflake also announced new innovations that enable all users to securely tap into the power of generative AI with their enterprise data, advancements that make it easier for developers to build ML models and full-stack apps in the Data Cloud, and more at Snowday 2023.
- Learn more about Snowflake Horizon.
- See Iceberg Tables in action in this demo.
- Stay on top of the latest news and announcements from Snowflake on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains express and implied forward-looking statements, including statements regarding (i) Snowflake’s business strategy, (ii) Snowflake’s products, services, and technology offerings, including those that are under development or not generally available, (iii) market growth, trends, and competitive considerations, and (iv) the integration, interoperability, and availability of Snowflake’s products with and on third-party platforms. These forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks, uncertainties and assumptions, including those described under the heading “Risk Factors” and elsewhere in the Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and the Annual Reports on Form 10-K that Snowflake files with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In light of these risks, uncertainties, and assumptions, actual results could differ materially and adversely from those anticipated or implied in the forward-looking statements. These statements speak only as of the date the statements are first made and are based on information available to us at the time those statements are made and/or management's good faith belief as of that time. Except as required by law, Snowflake undertakes no obligation, and does not intend, to update the statements in this press release. As a result, you should not rely on any forward-looking statements as predictions of future events.
Any future product information in this press release is intended to outline general product direction. This information is not a commitment, promise, or legal obligation for us to deliver any future products, features, or functionality; and is not intended to be, and shall not be deemed to be, incorporated into any contract. The actual timing of any product, feature, or functionality that is ultimately made available may be different from what is presented in this press release.
© 2023 Snowflake Inc. All rights reserved. Snowflake, the Snowflake logo, and all other Snowflake product, feature and service names mentioned herein are registered trademarks or trademarks of Snowflake Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other brand names or logos mentioned or used herein are for identification purposes only and may be the trademarks of their respective holder(s). Snowflake may not be associated with, or be sponsored or endorsed by, any such holder(s).
Snowflake enables every organization to mobilize their data with Snowflake’s Data Cloud. Customers use the Data Cloud to unite siloed data, discover and securely share data, power data applications, and execute diverse AI/ML and analytic workloads. Wherever data or users live, Snowflake delivers a single data experience that spans multiple clouds and geographies. Thousands of customers across many industries, including 639 of the 2023 Forbes Global 2000 (G2K) as of July 31, 2023, use Snowflake Data Cloud to power their businesses. Learn more at snowflake.com.
Product PR Lead, Snowflake